Mihail Stankov is a Partner at Stankov, Todorov, Hinkov & Spasov, Attorneys-at-Law and an attorney registered with the Sofia Bar Association.
He holds a PhD in International Law at the Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski with a dissertation on the topic “Recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments of civil and commercial cases”.
He is an expert in international commercial law and has extensive experience in providing legal advice and representation in the areas of insolvency, corporate and commercial law, banking and finance, contract and insurance law, maritime law and transport issues. He is also the co-founder of the Institute of International Private Law.
Since 2015, he has been legally advising the trustees in bankruptcy of the fourth largest bank in Bulgaria in its insolvency proceedings. Mihail Stankov provides procedural representation in cases against some of the largest debtors of the insolvent bank with a common material interest exceeding several hundred million leva. Proceedings led by him are key cases in the formation of case law in bank insolvency proceedings. He also participated with proposals de lege ferenda in connection with amendments to the Bank Insolvency Act. As a result of the successful litigation of Mihail Stankov, the trustees managed to collect significant amounts of the bank's receivables.
Mihail Stankov is an arbitrator in international and domestic cases with the Court of Arbitration at the Institute of International Private Law since 2012, having previously been an arbitrator with the International Court of Arbitration at the Legal Interaction Alliance.
Since 2019, Mihail Stankov is listed by the Ministry of Justice as a trustee in bankruptcy on the approved list of trustees in bankruptcy proceedings under the Commercial Law.
Mihail Stankov holds a Master of Law from the Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski. He specialized English Law and European Union Law at the University of Cambridge.
Before co-founding Stankov, Todorov, Hinkov & Spasov, Attorneys-at-Law, Mihail Stankov was part of the team of Dobrev, Kinkin and Lyutskanov Law Firm.
Working languages: Bulgarian and English
- How to retrieve money from a bank with revoked license?, capital.bg, 18.08.2014
- Interpretation of the provisions concerning the regulation of small and medium-sized enterprises – Doing Business 2014, Publication of the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation
- European Enforcement Order for uncontested claims under Regulation 805/2004, Wirtschaftsblatt bulgarisches, 10/2012
- European procedure for small claims interest - Regulation 861/2007, Wirtschaftsblatt bulgarisches, 9/2012
- European order for payment - Regulation 1896/2006, Wirtschaftsblatt bulgarisches, 8/2012
- Notarized agreement as a legal ground for writ of immediate execution of a monetary obligation – Wirtschaftsblatt bulgarisches, 11/2011
- Is it permissible to negotiate a penalty for violating the ban on the exercise of competitive activity in the employment contract – Bulgarski zakonnik Magazine 8/2011 and Wirtschaftsblatt bulgarisches, 12/2010
- Insolvency Proceedings – Doing Business 2007, Publication of the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation
- Licenses in Bulgaria – Doing Business 2007, Publication of the World Bank and the International Finance Corporation